10 Best Yoga Poses to Reduce Belly Fat
Contrary to popular view, Yoga can be an effective way to lose weight and fat. You will be surprised at how many pounds you can lose with the right Yoga Poses. It is even better when you consider that Yoga requires less endurance and rigor than you invest in other sports.
Yoga helps to reduce belly fat using both physical and mental means. It is physical because you move and switch body positions during Yoga. However, doing these consistently helps to remap your brain, and ultimately improves your behavior. In this case, behavioral improvement entails better stress management, less emotional eating, and cutting alcohol intake.
This post offers the best Yoga poses you can practice if you are really serious about melting that unwanted fat in your belly. So, without wasting time, let’s get to it!
1. Tadasana or Mountain Pose
It is the perfect way to prepare your body for your yoga session. You can achieve this pose by following the steps below:
- Stand up straight while keeping your feet flat.
- Spread your heels slightly out and ensure your big toes are in contact.
- Position your palms to face your body.
- Stretch your hand forwards and your palms close to each other.
- Take a deep breath in and hold.
- Stretch out your spine and raise your hands above your head.
- Finally, stretch your body as much as you can.
Take a ten-second rest in between each session and aim for ten sessions at a go.
2. Utkatasana or Chair Pose
This is your go-to pose if you want to work out your core and deep thigh as part of your fitness. You can achieve this pose by:
- Stand up with your feet hip-width apart.
- Take a deep breath and hold.
- Raise your arms to form a diagonal, with the fingers pointing to the point where the wall and ceiling meet.
- Breathe out, and bend your knees to create a sitting posture with your core and thighs.
- Maintain this position while you take five breaths (or more).
- Inhale and return to the starting position.
This pose also helps to relieve stress and sharpen your focus.
3. Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation Pose
There are 12 various yoga positions in the sun salutation pose. It is a great day-starter, with detox and improved breathing benefits. The steps are described below:
- Stand with your feet together, and inhale so that your chest gets fuller and relax your shoulders.
- Without exhaling, lift your arms away from your sides.
- Now exhale and bring both arms to the front of your chest, while creating a prayer position with your hands.
- Inhale deeply, move your arms above your head, and stretch backward.
- Exhale now and bend forward, like you want to make your knees and forehead meet.
- Bend your left knee, stretch your right leg out behind you, and make your palms touch the ground.
- While holding your breath, move into the plank position by stretching out your left leg.
- Bring your body to the ground with just your chin, chest, and knees on the ground.
Breathe in and stretch your body forward and bend backward.
- With your hands still on the ground, exhale and lean forward.
- Breathe in again and take your right leg forward upright in between your hands.
- Take your left leg forward, take a sharp breath in, and stretch back from the waist.
4. Chaturanga Dandasana or Four-Limbed Staff Pose
In addition to helping with weight loss, the controlled movement and core work in this pose also tone your belly, shoulders, core, legs, and arm. Here is how to create the pose:
- Go into the plank position, keeping your arms under your shoulders.
- Take a deep breath in and gradually take your knees, chest, and chin to the floor.
- You can take a break while in this position or transition it into another pose.
5. Padahastasana (Standing Forward Bend)
This pose is quite easy to achieve.
- Start by placing your hands on your side.
- Let your feet and heels touch.
- While still standing straight, breathe in and take your hands up above your head.
- Exhale, bend forward to put your body in a parallel position to the floor.
- Inhale and exhale, then lean forward to make your head and knee contact.
- Proceed to touch the ground with your palms, while keeping your knees straight.
- Touch your ankles or toes if touching the ground is difficult.
- Hold your breath and suck in your belly – maintain for about 90 seconds.
- Breathe out and return your body to the starting position.
For best results, do this pose for ten times, with a 10-second rest after each round.
6. Virabhadrasana or Warrior Pose
This pose adds strength and stability by working your entire body.
- Take a high lunge forward with your front leg set at 90 degrees and the back leg at 45 degrees angles.
- Take a deep breathe in, raise your arms to open the heart.
- With your hips squared, extend your spine and maintain this position for about ten breaths.
- Breathe out and bring your hands down.
For best results, repeat this pose at least twice on each side.
7. Naukasana or Boat Pose
This yoga pose is 100% for melting belly fat. For best results, do this pose five times with a 15-second rest in between each round.
- Start by laying on the yoga mat.
- Stretch your legs and arms, with your toes facing upward.
- Breathe in and out.
- Lift your head, chest, and legs from the floor.
- Stretch your arms out in a parallel position to your legs.
- Focus your gaze on your toes, and let your ab muscles contract.
- Maintain this position for about a minute.
- Breathe in and out and relax on the yoga mat.
8. Ushtrasana or Camel Pose
Switch to this pose immediately after the Boat Pose – it continues the stretch of the ab muscles.
- Strike a Vajrasana pose.
- Raise your body upwards from your knees, with the knee supporting the entire body weight.
- Breath out deeply and arch your back.
- Send your arms backward while trying to hold your ankles.
- Tilt your head backward and relax after a stretch in your abs is felt.
- Maintain this position for 30-60 seconds.
- Take a deep breathe out and relax.
9. Adho Mukha Svanasana or Downward-Facing Dog Pose
If you want your glutes, hips, shoulders, core, back, legs, and arms all stretched, this is your go-to pose. It is a muscle-intensive pose that helps to get rid of belly fat.
- Stand on your hands and knees.
- Tuck your toes while taking a deep breath.
- Breathe out and press up and back.
- Maintain a straight spine in this position for five breaths.
- Breathe out and return to the starting position.
10. Urdhva Dhanurasana or Upward-Facing Bow Pose
This pose stretches your belly, tones your arms, and improves your flexibility.
- While lying on the yoga mat with your knees bent and feet flat, bend your elbows and the hands flat on the floor and above your shoulders.
- Let your fingers face the body and press into your hands to raise your entire body up.
- With the elbows tucked, lower your head (the top) to the ground without over-stressing the neck.
- Breathe in and move up completely. Press into your feet and hands to raise your body.
- Maintain this position for five breaths.
- Breathe out and return to the starting position – start with your head first and then the entire body.
Finally, the degree of difficulty of these poses differ. You may try them all and stick to the ones that you find easiest. Whichever poses you end up with, rest assured they will go a long way toward reducing belly fat.